Thursday, February 4, 2010

Game Sage of February

So... I decided to apply for the whole Game Sage position in February.


It's kind of interesting considering how things are playing out. There's been a drop in Game Sages lately and I'm expecting them to absorb more than two people from the applicants. I've already voiced my feedback in the forums so I don't need to reiterate everything I've said.


Quite frankly I'm a bit turned off by how this is all turning out. The only thing I know that I am certain of, is that Royce is the one person out of all of those applicants who should be a Game Sage. Shoot, if I make it and he doesn't then there's clearly something wrong and I wouldn't be surprised at all if I ended up stepping down.


So I'm blogging at a time where just about everything can be used against me depending on what I say. No matter, I'm Indicative and I don't care if people decide to refute anything I've said or use it against me.


The only thing I'm just going to talk about is just a little bit of ranting on positions of authority.


Ideally, a Game Sage should know a considerable amount of the game, have plenty of first-hand experience to apply some of this knowledge, as well as have technical knowledge to help people who have issues with the client itself.


The intent that a Game Sage applies should be solely for the benefit of the community. A Game Sage should not just be a title, it is a tool to better help the community. If someone is a Game Sage, they shouldn't dilly-dally as if they don't care about their job. Lurking and chatting like a regular player is fine, but when it gets in the way of your duties then you should just step down.


A Game Sage is a player. Moreover, a Game Sage is a representative. They act as the liaison between players and Game Masters. They are the first line of Customer Support in their respective games and they should never ever neglect that duty. If it is more than they can handle then they know when to ask for help.


Thriving only on activity in blatantly public areas where people generally help anyway (e.g.) Shoutbox) isn't the most effective way to use a Game Sage. They should be in areas in which the least help is seen. Sitting in Babel Channel 1 works in some ways just because you see the greatest number of players there. What of the other channels? Not every player starts off in Channel 1. Of course, making your presence known does help but there's other means for them to help other than just chatting it up.


Helping in-game doesn't always mean you'll be well-known. If fact you should even care about fame if you want to be a Game Sage. That's the first step in being a terrible one. 


[/incomplete rantz]

3 comments:

  1. Megaten GSes are down by 3 members so far this year, so I too think that a few new GSes will be appointed. Although the MT GS team currently still stands at 10 members, I think about half of them aren't very active.

    This is just my personal perspective, but from my experiences in the GS team, what it needs right now are, in order of importance:
    1. more active communications within the team / better teamwork
    2.innovative minds; ingame events are lacking ever since Bleach left, although Theena's doing pretty well with the events she comes up with
    3. people with strong voice/reputation/etc so GS presence and activeness is noticeable, especially in forum boards - not just the SB

    Deep ingame knowledge is just a bonus (but a GS SHOULD have at least decent knowledge of the game), since the hardest questions are usually asked by high-end players and they'd probably ask recognisably knowledgable players like you, rather than the GSes.
    Although, you and Royce could definitely incorporate your knowledge into GS activities if you get chosen. Perhaps host some GS Q&A events, for example.

    /rant

    ReplyDelete
  2. This feels unfinished.

    (Note that I only read the last paragraph.)

    ReplyDelete